The Evolution of a Table (and My Feelings)

“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matt. 6:28-34

The above scripture has long been one of my favorites, ever since high school, I guess. There are certainly times in my life when I have to remind myself of this promise that Jesus made in his Sermon on the Mount (or Plain, depending on which gospel you read). I am very ashamed of my post last week. Once I reread it, I saw how whiney and full of self-pity I was. However, I don’t think that I will delete it because it was real as to how I was feeling at the time.

Stress is still there and always will be. I have to deal with it with prayer, Bible study, and stress-relieving activities such as tablescaping, blogging, and organizing. As I was doing some Bible study to see what the scriptures say about stress I came upon this verse from I Peter 5:7. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. Is it a verse I’ve read before? Certainly, but yesterday it just seemed to jump out at me; God knew that I needed to read it at that particular time. So thanks for everyone’s kind words and I promise to no longer use this blog for a pity-party!

100_7147

Do you sometimes have something in mind for a table or other décor and then it comes out totally opposite to what you planned? That happened to me in a big way when I was working on this table. Believe it or not, I had a pink color scheme in mind when I started this tablescape! But I was not happy with my original idea once I started actually laying it out, and began to look through my dishes and placemats for other inspiration. I got out these striped placemats, still not sure what I would put with them.

100_7148

I decided on my work horse Wal Mart square plates for the base. These are great plates for chargers as well as dinner plates.

100_7149

Still not sure where I was going with this, on a whim I got out the purple plates that I purchased at a Goodwill a few months ago. OK, this is working, I thought, but now what about the top layer?

100_7150

I tried putting my On the Terrace plates {I finally looked up the name of this pattern} on top, and liked the way it looked. I think I mentioned before that I like these plates a lot but don’t seem to use them nearly as often as I should. I still wasn’t quite satisfied and wanted a little something else.

100_7152

When rummaging through the cabinets, I came across these appetizer plates that I had used at Christmas time. They are by 222 Fifth, and I love the colors in them. I was a little wary about putting one print on top of another, but I really think it worked. The colors are similar and play off the purple, so I ended up really liking how this whole plate stack evolved.

100_7145

I searched through the newly-organized napkin drawer [not nearly as difficult a task as it would have been a few days ago!] and finally decided on the purple napkins. I did not want to introduce another color at this point. I chose some sparkly napkin rings because they show up well against the purple.

100_7154

The San Remo flatware is a good basic black for this place setting.

100_7157

Of course, I used my purple goblets and everyday wine glasses. I was done and then started thinking about the centerpiece.

100_7161

I love my brass candlesticks and don’t use them enough. I popped in some gold tapers, but they just looked too plain, so I “scrunched up” the other purple napkins and tried to fold and drape them around the base of the candlesticks. Then I scattered a few river rocks around to anchor the napkins. I ended up liking this quick and easy little centerpiece and thought it was a good choice for this table since I had plenty of pattern in the plate stack and did not need to add any more “busy-ness.”

100_7165

I had nothing about this table planned ahead of time.

100_7160

I actually added the different elements as I set the table, with none of it pre-planned or even having a lot of thought put into it. I know, crazy, right?

100_7164

Sometimes I need to open myself up to letting things evolve as they happen, such as this tablescape.

100_7156

I don’t have to always be in control. Sometimes letting things happen is the best way.

100_7162

The snowflakes are falling outside (remember, this is quite unusual for my little town in central MS), so I’m going to take a few minutes to relax and enjoy the sight before heading to work. Happy tablescaping and decorating to all!

I am joining: A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday, Home and Garden Thursday at A Delightsome Life , Vintage Thingie Thursday at Colorado Lady,   From the Farm at Sunny Simple Life, Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursday, Metamorphosis Monday, Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage ,  Cozy Little House for Tweak it Tuesday,  Under the Table and Dreaming for Sunday Showcase ,  The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home, Brown Gingham Creations for Rednesday,  Cuisine Kathleen for Let’s Dish, Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours,  Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill , Cottage Style at Lavender Garden, Homemaking Paty at Hope in Every Season,   The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday, The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday, What’s It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants; Weekend Bloggy Reading at Serenity Now, Meet Me Monday at You Are Talking Too Much,  Spotlight Saturday at Classy Clutter, Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage, Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound, You’re Gonna Love It Tuesdays at Kathe with an E, Mop it Up Monday at I Should Be Mopping the Floor , Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style ,  Make it Pretty Monday, Anything Blue Friday at The Dedicated House,Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style,  Create It Thursday at Lamberts Lately,   Flaunt it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring,  Tuesday’s Treasures at Uncommon Suburbia,  Return to Loveliness at A Delightsome Life, Centerpiece Wednesday at The Style Sisters,Open House Party at No Minimalist Here Time Travel Thursday at The Brambleberry Cottage , Tips and Tidbits at The Stone Gable, Thursday Favorite Things at Katherine’s Corner , Sizzle into Summer at DIY by Design

About Bev

I am a retired teacher who has only recently taken up tablescaping and blogging. For more information, see my About Bev link.
This entry was posted in Tablescapes, Vignettes, Winter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Evolution of a Table (and My Feelings)

1. Rosie says:

How pretty everything turned out! I really am liking purple and need to seek it out when I’m out looking for tablescaping goodies! Don’t be too hard on yourself, Bev. I, too, am going through a rough patch of life right now, and it’s healthy to “express your stress”; explains where the phrase “letting off steam” comes from. I hope this new week brings easier days. Take care, Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

2. Vicky Hunt says:

Your table looks lovely Bev…those purple dishes are so pretty! The centerpiece turned out very nice. Please don’t feel bad about sharing your heart or feelings on occasion. I don’t think any of us look at it as a bad thing to do. You write about your life and what is going on and we all have a bad day or week now and then. Praying you are feeling better and back to your cheery and happy self! How is your son settling in his new home and job?

Blessings, Vicky

3. lulu says:

You succeeded at pulling it all together.

4. Zuni says:

Hi, Bev. I know exactly what you mean…it’s so interesting how that happens! And I love to see the process and how it unfolds. At Christmas I wanted to do a certain table, but that’s all I had in mind–an opulent Christmas table. I ended up using things I hadn’t even envisioned/thought about, and I loved it! Your table turned out so pretty! Love the purple! ~Zuni

5. Usually the unplanned ends up being the best! Love your use of purple. It really blends with most colors, if not all! Different hues of purple are so inspiring for me and did you know that it’s so uplifting? That’s probably why you felt so good with your design coming together.

6. You did a lovely job!
    *hugs*deb

7. Diane says:

Hi lovely lady.
    I love how you put your Tablescape together so pretty and also your lovely story. I would like to thank you so much for your sweet comments on my Tablescape for Valentines Day. I am your newest follower on your blog. I also hope you have a wonderful week with your sweet family. God Bless ! xxoo
    Diane

8. FABBY says:

Beautiful purple table sweetie, I love all your dishes and glasses. Oh, what you mentioned happens to me a lot, or I’m sorry that I forgot to use something thet would’ve been perfect! Hugs,
    FABBY

9. Poppy says:

You have done such a lovely job of layering the pretty plates….and I love the pops of purple through out your tablescape! The square white plate from Walmart sets off the deep purple plates so prettily! And I am loving the lavender goblets! I have found that when I create something without much pre-planning it has the best result and we enjoy the process so much more:) Thanks for sharing your beautiful tablescape with us! Stay warm and safe! Hugs, Poppy

10. Melody says:

Hi Bev!
    So glad you came for Rednesday. Love the table. No plan is a great plan…It all comes together
    Hey just like the Scriptures…’Leave it to God’ Simple but true. We seem to get in the way of ourselves,.

11. Zenda says:

Love your table! Purple is my favorite color!!

12. Liz @ Infuse With Liz says:

I enjoyed seeing how you created and thought your way through your tablescape. I’ve been thinking about doing something in purple too so this is inspiring for me. Your idea with the centerpiece turned out great and I like the dish stack that you chose. Isn’t it fun to mix and match…I never would have thought to do this until I started following tablescape bloggers.

To be honest I got into blogging to be therapeutic for me since we had some abrupt changes in our world several years ago and I needed a way to escape. The blogging community has your back- no need to feel bad for being honest!

13. Marty@A Stroll Thru Life says:

I love how you always make purple the pretties color of all. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

14. Hey, Bev! I almost ALWAYS have different plans for a tablescape or other home decor only to see it morph into something totally different. It’s the way of the decorating world, I’m afraid! :-) But that’s also the beauty of creativity. It just flows from you as you work to put together something that will inspire. I’m glad you were finally able to feel comfortable enough to just let go and let the creativity rock your world!

I’m sorry for whatever has been bothering you. I know what a lousy feeling it is to have some burden on your shoulders, and I hope that burden is lifted soon. Take care, and have a wonderful weekend!

15. Phyllis says:

Love the purple, and I really love the way you have paired up the colors for a delightful tablescape, love using the old staples, nothing better then getting your moneys worth of items you can use over and over,,,

16. Christine says:

How pretty! I love purple. I am looking for purple transferware…Christine

17. Diane Weeks says:

I work the same way. The ideas don’t come until everything is in front of me and I start moving things around. It looks great! I love that scripture too! So good to know we don’t have to worry. I shared that is week during devotions about the scripture that says, “Be anxious for NOTHING”!
    Thanks for popping by.
    Blessings, Diane

18. This is such a pretty table and I love how you used the purple and coordinating colors! It’s lovely. Thanks for joining TTF!

19. I love the way this table turned out Bev, I think my best tables are the ones that I just let “happen.” Love the plate mix! Sorry about your recent struggles, and it looks like you’ve found the answer~
    Jenna

20. Sonia says:

Love your pretty table, but mostly I appreciate the verse you started your post with. That is my life verse…I have leaned on it many times. You sound so much like me!! I agree tablescaping and blogging is relaxing and probably in some way a coping mechanism for stress. Dwell on whatever is lovely and all the other things just melt away for awhile! Thanks for your lovely visit so I can now follow you by email.
    Miss Bloomers

21. My tables often don’t turn out as originally planned. Sometimes we just need to let go. The end result was lovely.

- The Tablescaper

22. Kathy says:

Your tablescape looks terrific Bev. We do all have those times and I’ve learned to focus on the good and to let God take care of things I can’t…So delighted you shared with Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy